History EN

Spread the love

Andros is the northern island of the Greek Cyclades archipelago, about 10 km (6 ml) southeast of Euboea, and about 3 km (2 ml) north of Tinos. It is nearly 40 km (25 ml) long. Most of its  part is mountainous, with many fruitful and well-watered valleys. The municipality, which includes the island Andros and several small, uninhabited islands, has an area of 380 km2(146.719 sq mi). The largest towns are Andros (town), Gavrio, Batsi, and Ormos Korthiou. The island is famous for its Sariza spring at Apoikia, where the water flows from a sculpted stone lion's head. Palaeopolis, the ancient capital, was built into a steep hillside, and the breakwater of its harbour can still be seen underwater. Andros also offers great hiking options.

Andros, the capital, on the east coast, contained about 2,000 inhabitants in 1900. The island had about 18,000 inhabitants in (1900). The 1991 census read 8,781. According to the latest Greek census of 2011, the town of Andros still contained 1,665 inhabitants, and the island's total was 9,221. The island is composed of the municipal units of Andros (town) (pop. 3,901), Korthio (pop. 1,948), and Ydrousa (pop. 3,372). 

Source wikipedia

Source andros.gr

Source http://korthi.gr/ind_en.htm

Χρήσιμα Τηλέφωνα